Independence Day is here, and all summer long, people enjoy amazing displays of fireworks. From the spectacular hometown shows to the simple backyard celebration, pyrotechnics are an essential part of the party. (And let’s remember, they are ILLEGAL to own and set off privately in New Jersey).
But according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, an average of 240 people go to the emergency room every day with fireworks-related injuries in the month around the July 4th holiday. Don’t spend a night in the hospital when you can easily prevent injuries to eyes, hands, fingers by observing some simple safety tips.
Courtesy of the American Pyrotechnics Association:
– Store fireworks in a cool, dry place
– Always read and follow the directions on the label
– Always have an adult present when handling fireworks
– Never give fireworks to young children, even sparklers!
– Use fireworks outdoors in a safe, non-wooden area
– Having a working garden hose or bucket of water handy
– Keep everyone a safe distance away from fireworks
– Light only one firework at a time
– Never re-ignite a firework that doesn’t light the first time or one that has finished its display
– Never carry fireworks in your pocket
– Don’t throw fireworks at another person
– Keep pets indoors and away from fireworks
– Never shoot fireworks in metal or glass containers
– Keep spectators at a safe distance
– Always wear safety glasses when igniting fireworks
Also, make sure the fireworks you light are legal! You can find out state laws regarding fireworks here: http://www.americanpyro.com/state-law-directory
Curious where fireworks are going to happen this year? I’m happy to share with you my favorite spots to celebrate: The Montclair Celebrates 4th of July – Fireworks at Yogi Berra Stadium -$3 per person- Family of 4 or more,$10. Gates open at 6pm ( OK, I’m on the committee- hope to see you there!)
Don’t forget- if you are looking to Make a Move to the Montclair- Bloomfield- West Orange area-( well, just about any place really) give us a call
THE NICHOLAS TEAM
Barbara P. Hughes & Gregg Nicholas
RE/MAX Village Square REALTORS